Thursday, July 24, 2008

Native Water Garden

I rarely see a variety of Hawaii’s native plants being used for landscaping outside commercial buildings, so I was pleasantly surprised with the recently installed plantings outside Kawaiha’o Plaza, the administrative offices of Kamehameha Schools in downtown Honolulu. This multi-level raised planter seems to be designed as a miniature ahupua’a.

Mauka plants such as naupaka kahuahiwi, palapalai, and koa were planted at the top level...


Kalo was growing in a tiny lo'i at midheight along with native sedges...

Even 'ihi'ihi was there, an unusual endangered native fern that resembles a four-leaf clover. In the wild it grows in vernal pools, so naturally it's a good plant for the water garden...


At the very bottom were plantings of makai plants such as alula...



hala pepe and 'ae'ae...


As the landscaping matures it will be interesting to see how many of the plants will have to be removed or replaced, if any. The koa seemed planted too close to the building, and I was surprised to see the naupaka kuahiwi was still thriving even though it was at this low elevation. Nonetheless, I have much to learn from this landscaper -- I’m impressed! I’ll have to revisit in the future to check up on this very akamai and inspiring native water garden.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aloha e Janice,

Mahalo for this post and your blog. If I'm not mistaken, this is the work of Hui Kū Maoli Ola, a nursery in Haʻikū, Kāneʻohe, who also does landscaping. They have also done gardens such as this on the Kapālama campus as well.

Keep up the great work.

Aloha,
ʻAlika

Anonymous said...

Of course, you probably already know who did it by now as this post was from last year... LOL!

Mahalo, again, for your blog.

ʻAlika

Janice said...

Actually, no, 'Alika, I didn't know -- I do know Rick Barboza and Matt Schirman over there though, because they're featured in the native plants section of my container gardening book. Glad to know this is their handiwork -- mahalo!

Anonymous said...

Aloha,

I see. Maybe you can confirm with Rick/Matt when time permits. Mahalo to you. I look forward to reading your book.

Continued success.

ʻAlika

Janice said...

Perhaps on my next trip over to O'ahu I should check on what's growing in their nursery these days. And maybe someday I'll peek in at the Kapalama campus. Mahalo, 'Alika!

Anonymous said...

Aloha again,

I have a question. On page 49 of your fine book, are the kalo and neke in your mini water garden in perlite only? It looks like it. Such a simple, yet very elegant water garden. I'd like to re-create your setup, except with a solar water pump...we have lots of sun out here in Kapolei. ;-)

Aloha,
'Alika

Janice said...

Actually, they're planted in individual pots of regular garden soil - "dirt," not potting soil - which has more clay in it to make it heavy. Otherwise your pots will float! The white stuff you see is white aquarium gravel I had on hand that I thought would look nice. Over time it changed color - especially because a giant toad moved in and started messing it all up! It looked great for a long time, though. Later I added a pot of makaloa, too. When I moved I had to break it all down, so I'm looking forward to recreating again.

Anonymous said...

Mahalo for the details and have fun! Love the book!

ʻAlika